Chesky Label - Hörtipps

Klangperlen und künstlerische Leckerbissen
Antworten
Markus
Aktiver Hörer

Chesky Label - Hörtipps

Beitrag von Markus »

Auf die Nachfrage von Martin(o) hier ein paar Hörtipps vom Label Chesky,
martino hat geschrieben:Neben den hier schon vorgestellten Alben haben mir noch Brecker/Hidalgo/Chesky/Mintzer – “The Body Acoustic” und Badi Assad/Larry Coryell/John Abercrombie – “Three Guitars“ sehr gefallen. Hast Du noch Tipps?
Grundsätzlich finde ich alle Aufnahmen von Chesky seit ca. 1994/1995 akustisch beeindruckend, unabhängig vom Musikstil. Seitdem die Brüder in der St. Peter's Episcopal Church NYC aufnehmen hat jede Aufnahme eine wunderbare (aber auch immer ähnliche) Räumlichkeit.

Interessanter Vergleich/Eindruck: ich habe mir gerade die Stockfisch XRCD24 "SARA K. - Hell Or High Water" zugelegt

Bild

Die Aufnahme ist sehr hoch ausgesteuert und dadurch im ersten Eindruck sehr dynamisch/beeindruckend. Alle Instrumente sind sehr direkt aufgenommen. Alles spielt aber auf einer Bühne ohne viel Tiefe/Räumlichkeit. Jetzt zum Vergleich mal schnell die Chesky-CD "Hobo" z.B. Titel "Oh Well" eingelegt und die Lautstärke auf etwa gleichen Pegel eingestellt. Siehe da, beeindruckende Tiefe/Räumlichkeit und Fazit - es braucht keine XRCD um hervoragende Aufnahmen zu hören. Alle Chesky-CD's seit ca. 1996 sind vom 96/24-Master erstellt.

Wie gewünscht, jetzt noch ein paar Tipps (Quelle: http://www.Chesky,com).

Viel Spaß beim Reinhören ...
Markus

Bild
Sara K. - Hobo

Rough-and-tumble singer/songwriter Sara K.'s brilliant new record, Hobo, is her hottest and hardest-hitting effort to date. Already regarded as a star internationally, Sara is poised to make her mark on America with her fourth Chesky release, which brims with smoky, road-worn songs about love and life. Hobo finds Sara's voice beautifully captured by Chesky's new 96/24 technology, and you'll be amazed by the range of tone and emotion that she conveys on this recording. Sara K. tells her musical war-stories with heart-cutting lyrics and tunes that you'll be singing long after the disc has stopped playing. Hobo also provides Sara with an opportunity to bring her blusey, knowing style to a number of diverse covers. "Brick House" is a witty, stripped-down acoustic take on the Commodores' smash, featuring dynamite upright bass work and irresistible percussion, while the Rodgers and Hammerstein favorite, "You'll Never Walk Alone," from Carousel , gets an intricate re-working that sounds far more barroom than Broadway. And a version of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" showcases Bruce Dunlop and Hui Cox's furious fretwork alongside some breathtakingly raw acappella vocals by Sara. Another Hobo highlight is Sara's R&B-flavored duet with vocalist Matthew Andrae on the true-to life "Oughtta Be Happy By Now." This is undoubtedly Sara's strongest work to date and listening to her is an invitation to experience a life

Bild
Sara K. - No Cover - A Live Performance

Through her unique voice and heart-wrenching songs, Sara has taken us down rocky roads and into smoky bars to create stunning portraits of life and love. Now, for the first time, you can fully experience the raw emotion and pure energy of Sara live on No Cover, her brand new Chesky release. Featuring classics like "If I Could Sing Your Blues" (with special guest Chuck Mangione), "Horse I Used To Ride," and "I Couldn't Change Your Mind," as well as new songs like the bluesy "Ball 'n Joint," this electrifying performance was recorded and filmed inside the acoustically-rich St. Peter's Church in New York. Sara and band never sounded better, and the 96-kHz/24-bit DVD with full-motion video -- one of the first in the world -- places you in the front row. From soft ballads to bluesy rockers, No Cover showcases Sara's unique blend of acoustic folk, blues, pop and jazz in an intimate setting. Her unmistakable voice and uniquely-tuned, 4-string guitar are further enhanced by harmonica, acoustic bass, 12-string guitar and percussion. The result is a collection of breathtaking new arrangements and standout performances that will delight music lovers, audiophiles and home-theater enthusiasts alike. And the best part of all? You can enjoy this special performance any time you want

Bild
Oregon - Beyond Words

Oregon continues to move forward creating and evolving as one of America's most important contemporary musical movements. The compositions are original and soar with collective unity, fusing elements of jazz, folk, classical, and world music into a completely original voice. Recorded in a live setting, Chesky Records has captured this event in absolute sonic splendor

Bild
Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies

With so much of today's music sounding like the din of open warfare, along comes Dave's True Story to prove there's still room for espionage. Chesky Records takes pleasure in presenting a record that's as sweet as a peach and dry as a martini. Sex Without Bodies by Dave's True Story is reminiscent of the post-swing, cafe society sound that belonged to stars like Peggy Lee and Chet Baker. Singer Kelly Flint uses her smoky, sultry vocal to explore a world of love, lust and venetian blinds. Composer/guitarist David Cantor writes his songs with the heart of a continental rogue--combining wit, insight and late-night -cool. Together they are masters of fallen innocence. For Sex Without Bodies, they bring to Chesky a diverting ensemble including vibes, accordion, horns and a deliciously grinding stand-up acoustic bass.

Bild
Paquito D'Rivera - Tropicana Nights

Awarded "Best Latin Jazz Album" Grammy at 1st Annual Latin Grammy Awards. Cuban dance music is back! Leading an all-star Latin big band, Grammy Award-winner Paquito D'Rivera unleashes the beloved music of his homeland. Following in the tradition of Havana's immortal jazz orchestras, D'Rivera infuses his own stylings with mambo, son, danz¢n and bolero to create an essential musical document. Tropicana Nights lures you back to the renowned nightclub's open-air terrace, "Bajo Las Estrellas," where the jet-set flocked to hear Cuba's great jazz orchestras and experience the spectacular floor shows. In keeping with the club's festive spirit, the album opens with the exuberant "Mambo a la Kenton" (penned by the club's musical director, Armando Romeu, Jr.). If that doesn't get you dancing, the irresistable rhythms of tracks like "Chucho" (a joyous mambo) and "Old Miami Sax" will. And when your feet need a brief rest, timeless ballads like "Como Fue" caress your heart. D'Rivera's passion for his native music is sustained throughout, from his soprano sax solo on the title track (a perfectly-crafted tone poem), to the celebratory call-and-response of "A Mi Que/El Manisero," which features noted Spanish vocalist Lucrecia. His affection for these songs springs from the childhood nights he spent in Havana clubs with his father, Tito, himself a well-known classical saxophonist and jazz orchestra conductor. "Through my father, I learned to love these types of orchestras, and that's why I chose to use the sound of those bands as a point of reference in this project." D'Rivera's mastery of the clarinet and soprano and alto saxophones is rounded out by extraordinary performances from top Latin musicians like Raplh Irizarry, Oscar Feldman, Milton Cardona and Jimmy Bosch. From his groundbreaking influence in Irakere to his Grammy Award-winning Chesky album Portraits of Cuba, D'Rivera has carried the spirit and joy of Latin Jazz music everywhere. Come join him on an unforgettable musical journey back home

Bild
Christy Baron - I Thought About You

What is a standard? For Christy Baron, it's Stevie Wonder as well as Cole Porter, it's the Beatles' "Got to Get You Into My Life," as well as "Body and Soul." Combining elements of pop, rhythm and blues and jazz, for Christy, the song's the thing, and when you hear her, you'll understand why. Chesky Records is proud to introduce a sonorous new voice, Christy Baron, whose intimate and sultry vocal stylings are sure to bend your ear. Christy's debut album, I Thought About You, features surprising takes on pop and jazz standards. Christy's rich vocals are given room to swing in the space of pianist Cliff Korman's sparse yet intricate arrangements. The combination of an adventurous piano trio and Christy's inviting harmonies reinvent the notion of the standard. For instance, the interplay between the instrumentalists and Christy's voice are quite involved and present a fresh take on the familiar. Listen to the pairing of Dave Finck's bass and Christy's silken tones on "Summer Soft" and "Ain't No Sunshine," and you will agree that this isn't your usual vocal album.

Bild
Christy Baron- Take This Journey

"There's purity to Baron's singing, an unfiltered honesty that's as refreshing as an early morning snowfall and fulfilling as a heartfelt compliment." - JazzTimes
A truly talented vocalist, Christy Baron brings us her third release entitled Take This Journey, again revealing an intriguing repertoire of modern classics delivered through her evocative voice. But it's not only the sound of her voice that captivates the audience … her ability to maintain the delicate balance between the musical and poetic ideas of both the composer and lyricist creates the kind of mood that prepares the listener for a simply wonderful journey. Take This Journey is a story, a reflection of life that captures the wonderful reality of the genuine interactions we share with the people around us. Christy's rendition of the Turtles' classic "Happy Together" sets the tone of the record with her sultry yet optimistic recording that is nothing less than convincing. The album features songs from Carole King including "Stand Behind Me" and "First Day in August," and an incisive version of "Bitter With The Sweet." Christy's clear vocalizations are apparent when she explains the sad fact that "A House Is Not a Home" and sets the limits in Sondheim's Sweeney Todd classic "Not While I'm Around." The darker side of life is apparent through Sinatra's classic "Old Devil Moon" and Cleo Lane's "The Lies of Handsome Men." But don't lose hope just yet … a captivating rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed" showcases Baron's optimism in mankind. Christy Baron communicates the pleasure and the pain of our existence in Take This Journey, appealing to the intellectual listener with her sweet, knowing recognition of life's wonder.

Bild
Christy Baron - Steppin'

When jazz singers interpret popular music, their main source is often the great standards and Broadway music of the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's. Turning most of their attention to George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and other famous composers of that era, they tend to ignore the rock and R&B songs of the last 40 years, assuming they are irrelevant to jazz singing. Yet worthwhile popular music didn't die with the Gershwin Brothers -- great popular songs continue to be written, and on her second Chesky album, Steppin', Christy Baron demonstrates that the popular music of the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's can, in fact, be relevant to a jazz-oriented vocalist. This album's primary focus is what Baron calls "modern standards" or "new standards:" from The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows," Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street" and Phil Collins' "This Must Be Love" to Prince's "Thieves In The Temple" and The Atlanta Rhythm Section's "Spooky." Pianist/keyboardist Herbie Hancock was thinking along similar lines when he recorded the instrumental Main Ingredient for Verve in the late 1990's,and Steppin' was being planned coincidentally around the same time. "To me, standards aren't called standards because they're from a certain era," asserts the Pittsburgh-raised singer/actress, who now lives with her husband and baby daughter just outside of New York. "They're standards because they're songs that people listen to and enjoy on a regular basis. They're the popular songs of their day." To some jazz purists, songs by The Beatles, Peter Gabriel and the innovator formerly known as Prince should be off limits to jazz improvisors. But truth be told, Baron interpreting their songs in the year 2000 is as logical as Ella Fitzgerald or Helen Merrill interpreting Rodgers & Hart in the 1950s--and make no mistake: interpreting the songs is exactly what she does. If you're looking for predictable, note-for-note covers of rock and R&B favorites, you won't find them here. Originally an up tempo soul number in the early 1970's, Billy Preston's "Will It Go Round In Circles" becomes moody jazz-noir in Baron's hands. And while The Zombies' "She's Not There" was originally a British Invasion rock hit in the 1960's, Baron puts a very funky, R&B-minded spin on the song. "I wasn't trying to improve any of these songs or make them better - I just wanted to give you my take on them," Baron notes. "My interpretation of 'She's Not There' changes the whole perspective of the song. When The Zombies recorded it, 'She's Not There' was done from a guy's perspective. But my version is a woman telling a guy, 'Get it together--she's not around, but I'm here. Get over it.'" Steppin' will come as a surprise to those whose introduction to Baron was her recording debut of 1996, I Thought About You. While that Cliff Korman-arranged effort wasn't without R&B and pop elements and found Baron interpreting The Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life," Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" and Stevie Wonder's "Summer Soft," it was acoustic-oriented and employed a basic piano trio. "On Steppin' we wanted to do something different," says David Chesky, "so I asked Didier Rachou to take a few chances and produce something new." Producer Didier Rachou is more contemporary in his approach, mixing jazz, world musics and cutting-edge electronica styles. Baron will be the first to tell you that Steppin' is far from the work of a hard bop purist. This is a jazz-oriented album, but it's a jazz-oriented album that is quite mindful of pop, R&B, and electronica, as well as world music. "Tomorrow Never Knows" incorporates traditional Tuvan throat singing, and one hears traces of Indian music on "Mercy Street." "I have never claimed to be a jazz purist or a straight-ahead singer," asserts Baron. "I'm definitely more contemporary-minded, and I embrace music from different eras. I can't help being influenced by the many different styles of music that I have loved during my life." Indeed, parts of the album are funky enough to attract R&B audiences -- it's easy to imagine Erykah Badu or N'Dea Davenport fans getting into Baron's makeover of "She's Not There" or her hypnotic interpretation of Heatwave's 1977 funk smash "Ain't No Half Steppin'." The hip-hop vibe is especially strong on "Nite And Day" and "Delays On The Downtown 6," the two original songs on the album, both written by Didier Rachou and Lucy Lean. "Delays" is a jazz/hip-hop poem that features David Johansen of New York Dolls fame. The piece is a vivid collage of contrasting Manhattan vignettes. "If Miles Davis were alive today," Baron comments, "he'd be continuing to grow and challenge himself. He had to do his own thing, which is why he was an inspiration to so many artists. It's important for artists to express what they honestly feel--and with this album, I was able to incorporate many of the styles that I love and use them to make a personal statement." -- Alex Henderson March 2000
Bild
Aktivboxer
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Aktivboxer »

Hallo Markus,

Danke für Deine Tipps. Einige kenne ich schon - speziell die Sachen von Sara K. Die "Hell Or High Water" ist als XRCD meiner Meinung nach die beste Ausgabe. Noch vor der SACD. Was die Abmischung insgesamt betrifft, so ist Diese eben typisch stockfischig - eben sehr direkt, aber mächtig aufgeblasen. Da sind ihre Chesky-Aufnahmen viel ehrlicher, eben nicht so spektakulär.
Ein Tipp von mir wäre die "What Matters", ihre Letzte bei Chesky. Und wer es noch etwas besser haben möchte: Als 24/96-Version ganz toll!

Grüße

Lutz

Bild
Bild
wgh52
Aktiver Hörer
Beitrag von wgh52 »

Sagt mal Chesky Freunde,

die werben ja mit 24/96 Mastering. Gut und schön... aber wo/wie kriegt man die Masterqualität her? Ich sehe bei denen nur normale 16/44 CDs. :cry:

Ich hab denen darum einfach mal ganz naiv eine Mail mit dieser Frage geschickt und warte gerade auf Antwort. Oder habt Ihr schon eine??

Gruss,
Winfried
Bild
Aktivboxer
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Aktivboxer »

Hallo Winfried,

schaust Du bei HD Tracks.

Grüße

Lutz
Bild
Markus
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Markus »

Hallo Winfried,
wgh52 hat geschrieben:Ich hab denen darum einfach mal ganz naiv eine Mail mit dieser Frage geschickt und warte gerade auf Antwort. Oder habt Ihr schon eine??
geh mal auf die Chesky-Homepage und schau Dir die "NEW RELEASES" an. Da findest Du die gesuchten Infos, aber leider mit Einschränkung, die so lautet "192khz 24bit Gold Studio Master DVD-R Discs are available for purchase in the USA only!"
Chesky Records is pleased to introduce the 192/24 series. These discs are not limited editions but one-to-one copies of our 192khz 24bit master discs. The discs contain standard 192khz 24bit .wav files that you can copy to your computer's hard drive and then play back through any device that will support this high resolution format. THESE DISCS WILL NOT PLAY ON DVD AUDIO PLAYERS, CD PLAYERS, OR SACD PLAYERS. Each disc can contain up to 4.7 gigabytes of music.

192khz 24bit Gold Studio Master DVD-R Discs are available for purchase in the USA only!
Berichte mal, wenn Du andere Quellen/Wege findest.

Viele Grüße
Markus
Bild
Fortepianus
Aktiver Hersteller

Beitrag von Fortepianus »

Hallo Winfried,

ich hab' von Chesky einige SACDs und auch DVD-Audio-Scheiben. Und in den Anfängen der DVD gab's von Chesky normale DVDs, die mit einer 24/96-Audiospur versehen waren, ohne Bild. Gibt der DVD-Standard nämlich her. Nur um den exzellenten Klang dieser Chesky-Scheiben zu hören (sonst gab's damals noch keine Label, die in diesem Format produziert haben), habe ich - war's 1998? - meinen damaligen DVD-Player (irgendein Panasonic DVD-A_irgendwas) gründlich überarbeitet, u. a. das komplette Analogteil entfernt und durch ein neues ersetzt, ebenso eigens dafür ein neues Netzteil eingebaut etc. Also, Chesky ist schon länger in Sachen Hochauflösendes unterwegs.

Viele Grüße
Gert
Bild
Kienberg
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Kienberg »

Hallo Winfried,
wgh52 hat geschrieben:.....die werben ja mit 24/96 Mastering. Gut und schön... aber wo/wie kriegt man die Masterqualität her? Ich sehe bei denen nur normale 16/44 CDs. :cry:
dies wird ja schon seit vielen Jahren praktiziert, also Mastering in 24/96 und dann auf 16/44 Downsamplen und auf CD veröffentlichen. Am CD-Cover wird dann, mehr oder weniger deutlich, 24/96 aufgedruckt.

Wie Gert eben bemerkte, bietet Chesky schon lange hervorragende hochauflösende Musik-DVD's und DVD-Audios an. Ich hab von denen eine DVD-Audio, da sind hervorragende Naturszenen in 5.1 drauf.....wenn ich meine Gäste überraschen will, lasse ich, ohne vorher was zu sagen, ein Gewitter mit Blitz und Donner und Regen laufen, dass alle augenblicklich den Kopf einziehen und nach einem Regenschirm suchen. :P :mrgreen:

Erst in letzter Zeit gehen die Musikproduzenten dazu über, diese "Masterbänder", also die 24/96 Files, auch zum Kauf via Download anzubieten.
Die findest Du, wie Lutz eben ausführte, bei Chesky hier auch als HD-Files.

Gruss
Sigi
Bild
wgh52
Aktiver Hörer
Beitrag von wgh52 »

Danke Freunde, jetzt hat's "g'schnack'lt" :mrgreen:

Gruss,
Winfried
Bild
martino
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von martino »

Danke für die Empfehlungen, Markus!

Passenderweise habe ich gerade entdeckt: wer gerne echte CDs in der Hand hält (und keine Downloads mag), bei Zweitausendeins gibts derzeit ein paar Chesky Alben recht bis sehr günstig!!!

Die "Oregon - Beyond Words" habe ich, gefällt mir gut. In die Restlichen muss ich mal reinhören... besonders "Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies" ist interessant...

Neben den hier schon vorgestellten Alben haben mir noch Brecker/Hidalgo/Chesky/Mintzer – “The Body Acoustic” und Badi Assad/Larry Coryell/John Abercrombie – “Three Guitars“ sehr gefallen.
Bild
Brecker/Hidalgo/Chesky/Mintzer – “The Body Acoustic” (Jazz)

Akustischer Jam-Jazz... Aufnahmetechnisch sehr beeindruckend (siehe Chesky's Anmerkungen weiter unten), musikalisch wirds vielleicht nicht jedem gefallen. Die Stücke sind sich vom Aufbau recht ähnlich, im Prinzip eine einzige grosse Jam-Trance mit akustischen Instrumenten:

Heraus stechen die Congas von Giovanni Hidalgo, die hier mit einer Fülle von verschiedensten Klangfarben wunderschön abgebildet sind (und offenbar zum Equipment-Test herangezogen werden). Rechts steht Bob Mintzer mit der Bass Clarinet, leistet v.a. Groove-Arbeit und bringt ein paar feine Solos. Randy Brecker spielt durchgehend Trompete mit Dämpfer, hält sich eher zurück. Auch David Cheskys Piano ist eher im Hintergrund, begnügt sich bis auf wenige Ausnahmen mit dem Einstreuen kleiner Akzente...

In der Chesky Top Ten ists die #3... Die Top Ten sind eine wirklich interessante Auflistung aus Sicht des Labelchefs. Aus der Aufnahmeperspektive sind das sicherlich die Highlights, obs einem musikalisch zusagt muss jeder für sich selbst sehen... die #1, David Chesky's modern kammerorchestrales "Area 31" ist z.B. sehr interessant und super aufgenommen, viel anhören tu ichs mir trotzdem nicht weil die Musik doch etwas anstrengend ist. Gottseidank kann man bei HDtracks überall bequem reinhören.
David Chesky hat geschrieben:I know this is my record. But let's not forget that it features some of the greatest jazz musicians in the world today, Randy Brecker, Bob Mintzer, Giovanni Hidalgo and Andy Gonzalez. What I would like you to listen to is the incredible imaging and depth this CD has and, especially, the conga drums. Let's start with Giovanni's conga drum. On most recordings, this instrument is close miked. It always has a good bright snap, but that isn't what a conga drum sounds like. When you hear the conga on this recording, it will have body and weight, and I might add a lot of dynamic power and bass as well. Listen to the punch of each note along with the clarity. Listen to the drum echo in the church. Now listen to the tone as well. It is rich, instead of thin. You hear Giovanni's hand hit the skin.

Also, let's pay attention to the richness of the bass clarinet. Never thin or bright. Randy's trumpet is always in a harmon mute. The muted trumpet should never sound bright, thin or nasty; this is the best test to hear how good your amp, D/A converter or speakers are. If this trumpet sounds bright or nasty it is a system problem. The piano should come from behind the trumpet. Also, the playing is very light. Just for color. We use this disc to evaluate new gear for our studio. You can ad as well to test your system, and you will enjoy the music.
Reviews: allmusic und amazon.com

Bild
Badi Assad/Larry Coryell/John Abercrombie – “Three Guitars“ (Jazz)

Akustischer Gitarren-Kammerjazz. Larry Coryell sitzt links (Steelstring Guitar), rechts John Abercrombie (ebenfalls Steelstring), mittig hinten Frau Assad mit klassischer Nylonstring Guitar, Body-Percussion, Kalimba, Kupfer-Flöte (?) und kleinen Gesangseinlagen. Wer perfekt aufgenommene akustische Jazzgitarrenakrobatik mag, wird sich hierüber freuen. Besonders schön das letzte Stück, eine wunderbare Version von John Abercrombie's Timeless (Original auf dem gleichnamigen ECM-Debutalbum von 1975). Da an einem bitterkalten New Yorker Wintertag aufgenommen, hört man an den leisen Stellen den Heizlüfter in St. Peter's Episcopal Church mitsummen. Heimelig...

Reviews: allmusic, amazon.de und amazon.com

Der Ordnung halber, weils in diesen Thread gehört, hier nochmal meine älteren Chesky-Reviews verlinkt:

Jazz Side Of The Moon - "The Music Of Pink Floyd" (Jazz)

Carlos Heredia - "Gypsy Flamenco" (Flamenco)

Rosa Passos/Ron Carter (Bossa); John Hammond (Blues)

Jimmy Cobb Quartet - "Jazz in the Key of Blue" (Jazz)

Martin
Bild
Christian
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Christian »

martino hat geschrieben: Brecker/Hidalgo/Chesky/Mintzer – “The Body Acoustic” (Jazz)

Akustischer Jam-Jazz... Aufnahmetechnisch sehr beeindruckend (siehe Chesky's Anmerkungen weiter unten), musikalisch wirds vielleicht nicht jedem gefallen. Die Stücke sind sich vom Aufbau recht ähnlich, im Prinzip eine einzige grosse Jam-Trance mit akustischen Instrumenten:
Hallo Martin,
danke für Deine Anmerkungen zu der Platte. Mir haben die (das ;-) ) Stück(e) beim Reinhören auf hdtracks gut gefallen. Ich war ja von Dir gewarnt, letztlich doch immer wieder Variationen ein und des selben Themas :| , aber grooven tut es trotzdem wie Sau :mrgreen:

Viele Grüße
Christian
Bild
martino
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von martino »

Christian hat geschrieben:Ich war ja von Dir gewarnt, letztlich doch immer wieder Variationen ein und des selben Themas :| , aber grooven tut es trotzdem wie Sau :mrgreen:
Das tut es ganz sicher! 60 Minuten lang, und ohne wirklich nachzulassen...

Sara K. ist für mich nach einigem Reinhören eine ganz große Entdeckung! Dank an Markus und Lutz für den Tipp. Die Alben "Hobo", "No Cover" und "What Matters" werde ich mir mal genauer anschauen...
Markus hat geschrieben:Oregon - Beyond Words

Oregon continues to move forward creating and evolving as one of America's most important contemporary musical movements. The compositions are original and soar with collective unity, fusing elements of jazz, folk, classical, and world music into a completely original voice. Recorded in a live setting, Chesky Records has captured this event in absolute sonic splendor.
Dazu nochmal Makus Review.

Bild
Oregon - "Beyond Words" (World/Jazz)
Audio hat geschrieben:Schon beim ersten Titel hört man sich fest: Er ist ein Ohrwurm - wie die meisten Stücke von Ralph Towner, der treibenden Kraft bei Oregon an Gitarre, Piano und Synthesizer. Obendrein swingt es höllisch, obwohl in der Band einer fehlt. Aber daß ihre Musik auch ohne Colin Walcott an Sitar, Tabla und Percussion nicht lahmt, haben Oregon schon bewiesen, nachdem das Gründungsmitglied 1984 tödlich verünglückt war. Im letzten Jahr stieg auch Trilok Gurtu nach einem kurzen Gastspiel wieder aus. Die Gruppe machte aus der Not eine Tugend und betont nun das Melodische stärker, ohne daß der Drive auf der Strecke bleibt. Die Klänge des Trios sind dank seines Ideenreichtums nach wie vor ungemein abwechslungsreich, aber mit deutlich weniger exotischem Flair gewürzt. Kontrolleur am Baß ist Glen Moore. Wie gewohnt setzen sich Oregon genüßlich zwischen alle Stile und verschmelzen Jazz, Folklore und europäische Sounds zu einer unverwechselbaren Weltmusik. So entstehen beispielsweise in der "Silver Suite" aus kollektiver Improvisation herrliche, impressionistische Bilder voller Stimmungen. Wer bei dieser großartigen Spiellaune die thematischen Leitplanken vermißt, hat mit den anderen neun Titeln auf der CD "Beyond Words" immer noch eine extrem ohrenfreundliche Wegstrecke vor sich - und ein Hörvergnügen der absoluten Spitzenklasse.

© Audio
Weitere Reviews bei allmusic und amazon.com.
David Chesky hat geschrieben:Recently, this has become my favorite recording for bass. Glen Moore, the bass player in Oregon, has a great old upright bass. Listen to the punch and clarity of this instrument. The bass should be deep and clean; it should image right in front of you with the reverb bouncing off the side walls. If you want to test your bass, use Track 8, “Leather Cats”: the bass should be deep and tight. Like most of our albums, this was recorded in St. Peter’s Church in New York City.

My favorite tracks are 10 and 12, “Silver Suite I” and “III”. You will hear so much out of phase intonation hitting the side wall of the church that even in stereo it sounds like a surround recording. You will hear great depth and space as well. Listen to the timbre and dynamics of Paul McCandless’ bass clarinet and oboe. This recording is great to test bass (and I mean tight, fast bass). It also has a great feeling of space and some very interesting music as well.
Martin
Bild
Antworten