Miles Espanol - New Sketches of Spain (Jazz/Latin)

Klangperlen und künstlerische Leckerbissen
Antworten
martino
Aktiver Hörer

Miles Espanol - New Sketches of Spain (Jazz/Latin)

Beitrag von martino »

Bild

Hallo zusammen,

lausche gerade gebannt dieser brandaktuellen und sowohl musikalisch als auch aufnahmetechnisch hervorragenden Aufnahme - eine Neuinterpretation von Miles Davis iberisch angehauchten Werken. Geleitet wird das Projekt mal wieder von Bob Belden, dabei sind alte Mitstreiter (und inzwischen Stars) aus Miles verschiedenen Formationen, die Crème des aktuellen Latin Jazz, sowie auch spanische, nordafrikanische und keltische Musiker. Eine interessante Mischung!
amazon.com hat geschrieben:The Jazz Recording Event of 2011. Conceived and Produced by Bob Belden, Miles Espanol is an amazing journey into the Spanish soul of Miles Davis---and beyond.
In May of 2010, a group of Miles Davis alumni, New Yorks finest Latin Jazz players, and a contingent of exceptional Spanish flamenco musicians, gathered at Sear Sound Studios in Manhattan for an unprecedented recording event.
MILES ESPANOL travels more deeply than ever before into the connective tissue between the jazz innovations of Miles Davis and the modern masters who performed in his bands; and the dramatic, romantic soul of Spanish, Latin and Moorish traditional and contemporary music.
Two CDs of material were recorded, blending two different categories of repertoire.
New interpretations and arrangements of Miles classics from Sketches Of Spain ( Concierto de Aranjuez , Saeta/Pan Piper Medley , Solea ), Kind Of Blue ( Flamenco Sketches ), and Someday My Price Will Come ( Teo aka Teo/Neo .)
New compositions by principals in the sessions Chick Corea, Jack DeJohnette, John Scofield, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, etc. that enhance and extend the musical concepts into the multicultural language of 21st Century Jazz.
THE PLAYERS - Chick Corea, Jack DeJohnette, John Scofield, Ron Carter, Sammy Figueroa, Sonny Fortune, Alex Acuña, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Rabih Abu-Khalil, Chano Domínguez, Jorge Pardo, Carles Benavent, Eddie Gomez, Jerry Gonzalez, Cristina Pato, Jaco Abe, Edsel Gomez, Adam Rudolph, Brahim Fribgane, Edmar Castañeda, Niño Josele, Antonio Sanchez, John Benitez.
Robert B. Shepherd @ amazon.com hat geschrieben:I recently spent a week in Spain examining Spanish culture, specifically its music. The nation has an amazing history as it combines both traditional Christian concepts (typically Catholic) with a Muslim moorish influence. In certain parts of the country, particularly Galacia, the Celtic influence left by the Celtiberian people is also heavily felt. The result, as is practically always the case when different cultures meld into one musical form, is brilliant music.

Miles Davis' classic cd Sketches of Spain tried to bring this interesting art form of Spanish music with traditional conceptualizations of classical and jazz music. While that album is rightfully a brilliant classic and the work of Miles and Gil Evans on it was breathtaking, the album itself misses a certain rawness. This rawness I believe originates itself in traditional Spanish music yet was dampened by Miles and Evans melding in more classical influences.

Miles Espanol, however, fills this gap as it maintains its status as a jazz album while also further exploring this rawness. In Miles Espanol, one can hear the melding of cultural influences throughout the nation of Spain as Middle Eastern influences are represented by artists such as Rabih Abou-Khalil on the oud (check out his cd Al-Jadida where he plays with Sonny Fortune if you want to find more of his amazing work), more traditional Spanish sound is presented by artists like guitarman Niño Josele, and even the Celtiberian influence is felt through bagpiper Cristina Pato (her work is generally incredible). These influences are then melded with the work of contemporary jazz legends who played with Miles including Chick Corea, Ron Carter, Sonny Fortune, Jack DeJohnette and John Scofield.

In essence, what this album does is take Sketches of Spain to the next level. It adds the rawness missed by the original yet also pays respect to Miles' masterpiece. If you enjoyed Miles from India, you are going to absolutely love this album. I recommend it for anyone even the least bit interested in Spanish music, modern jazz, and cultural fusion music.
Constant Listener @ amazon.com hat geschrieben:I heard about this album on NPR's All Things Considered yesterday and immediately downloaded it, though I will also buy the CD. It's impossible to describe how creative and colorful this music is. It blends Jazz and Spanish and Latin Jazz and even Moroccan sounds so seamlessly that it almost creates a new music category. The players are all performing at peak creativity, especially Chick Corea (who really is making some of the best music of his life these days), Gonzalo Rubalcaba, John Scofield. But there are also a ton of musicians here that I've never heard of and who I want to find out more about.

The original Miles Davis/Gil Evans Sketches of Spain is a masterpiece, and shouldn't be compared to Miles Espanol. But in many respects I'm finding this album deeper and more fascinating because it draws more connections in the Spanish/Jazz mix and is vastly more varied in its sound approaches. I don't know if that opinion will maintain over the years, but who says one has to choose? Miles Espanol is an extraordinary journey and should not be missed. Worth every penny and then some.
Zu kaufen u.a. hier:
  • HDtracks (Download @ 88kHz/24bit) Klingt super, zur Spektrogramm-Analyse bin ich noch nicht gekommen.
  • jpc.de (Audio-CD)
  • amazon.de (Audio-CD)
Martin
Bild
Höhlenmaler
Aktiver Hörer
Beitrag von Höhlenmaler »

moin

Interessant den Unterschied zwischen den Tracks auf jpc und hdtracks.com am Rechner zu hören.
Zwei Browser Tabs öffnen und die Vorschau der Stücke abwechselnd anhören.

Beim ersten Vergleich meinte ich, das die HD Tracks mir einen ausgewogeneren Ton liefern. Mit Broto Y Cayo aber weniger deutlich ? Duende auf hdtracks scheint mir auch die leisen Tön feiner vorzuführen. In HD also doch ein mehr an Auflösung, Binnenstrukturen, selbst wenn ich über die an den Computer angeschlossenen, kleinen Logitech Brüllwürfel höre.
Mir ist das wichtig, denn die CD zu kaufen, käme mir nach dem Hören der ersten Töne vom Concierto de Aranjuez auf jpc n i c h t in den Sinn. Auf hdtracks die Harfe zum Beginn, das gefällt mir viel besser. Die Ausschnitte der Musikstücke sind leider auf beiden Plattformen allerdings nicht gänzlich deckungsgleich. Man kann aber doch einen guten Eindruck vom Unterschied zwischen den Beiden Anbietern bekommen finde ich.

Gruß Ingo
Bild
Antworten