Bruno (Grimm LS1, Kii Three)

audiophile Biografien unserer Mitglieder
Forumsregeln
Bei Vorstellungen steht die persönliche, subjektive Erfahrungswelt des Verfassers im Vordergrund. Insbesondere soll die Vorstellung als "Visitenkarte" des Mitglieds gewürdigt bzw. respektiert werden. Dialoge sollten hier vorrangig mit dem Verfasser und nicht mit Dritten geführt werden. Siehe auch die Forumsregeln.
frankl
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von frankl »

Hallo Bruno,

auch von mir ein Willkommen hier im Forum! Ich finde es eine schöne Anerkennung unseres Forums, wenn auch Profis der audiophilen Szene bereit sind, sich an einigen unserer Diskussionen zu beteiligen.

Als ich in meiner minimalistischen Wiedergabekette die NCore DIY Verstärkermodule eingebaut habe, dachte ich mir: So muss es sein - und für die nächsten Jahre gibt es beim Verstärker für mich nichts mehr zu verbessern.

Nach dieser Erfahrung habe ich gleich davon geträumt, wie schön es wäre, wenn es auch ein DAC Modul von dieser Qualität gäbe. Vor einiger Zeit habe ich ein Interview gelesen, in dem Du über die Entwicklung eines neuen DAC mit einem sehr interessanten Konzept berichtest. Sollte mein Traum einmal wahr werden? Oder sind diese Entwicklungen nur für Fertigprodukte vorgesehen? Wird dieses DAC Konzept in den Kii THREE schon benutzt?

Viele Grüße,
Frank
Bild
Hans-Martin
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Hans-Martin »

Wenn es gelingt, das vom Lautsprecher abgestrahlte Signal so in den Raum zu integrieren, dass es kaum noch Nebenwirkungen gibt, wie finden wir den besten Hörplatz, der ebenfalls frei von vergleichbaren Nebenwirkungen bleibt?

Wenn wir den besten Hörplatz haben und einen neutralisierten Lautsprecher (natürlich als Paar mit bestmöglicher Symmetrie) einsetzen, kommt die nächste Frage:
Wie müssen die Mikrofone (Kugel oder Richtmikrofon) aufgestellt werden, um eine authentische Wiedergabe zu bieten?

Auch wenn viele meinen, das gleichseitige Dreieck (Boxen-Hörer) wäre hinreichend, bleibt die Erkenntnis, dass die Vielfalt der Aufnahmen belegt, dass hier keinerlei Einheit herrscht, wie die Mikrofone optimal dafür anzuordnen sind.

Wenige gute Aufnahmen belegen, dass eine unglaublich große Anzahl schlechter Aufnahmen existiert.
Zum Glück gibt es bessere Lautsprecher, über deren Überlegenheit es wenig Zweifel gibt.
Eine reine Intensitätsstereofonie ohne ITD ist gewiss nicht das Optimum, dominiert aber den Pop/Jazz-Bereich. Es gibt Kompensation für diese Technologie, aber sie wird selten im Mastering angewandt (die Burkowitz-Mixer REDDx bei der EMI der späten 1950er hatten entsprechende Einrichtungen, Griesinger hat 1987 zum selben Thema geschrieben).

Ist menschliches Hören im Bass ebenfalls kardioid? Meiner Meinung nach leider nicht, aber Kopfbewegung lässt höhere Frequenzen brauchbar lokalisieren. EIn Lautsprecher, der Raummoden weniger anregt, ist ein echter Fortschritt. DSP- oder Computer-basierte Raumkorrektur kann lineare Verzerrungen zumindest an einem Punkt wunderbar minimieren, dennoch zeigt die Praxis, dass es Unterschiede zwischen Hörplätzen gibt, die nach denselben Kriterien voll korrigiert sind. Wenn ich Geithain Lautsprecher mit Bassniere gehört habe, war der Hörplatz für die beste Abbildungsschärfe an anderer Stelle als der Platz für beste (gefühlte) tonale Ausgewogenheit. Das gibt zu Denken. Gibt es eine optimale Entfernung zum Hörer für Kii Three?

Grüße Hans-Martin
Bild
Joerghag
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Joerghag »

Hans-Martin hat geschrieben:...
Wenn ich Geithain Lautsprecher mit Bassniere gehört habe, war der Hörplatz für die beste Abbildungsschärfe an anderer Stelle als der Platz für beste (gefühlte) tonale Ausgewogenheit. Das gibt zu Denken. Gibt es eine optimale Entfernung zum Hörer für Kii Three?
Hallo Hans-Martin,

du hast es eigentlich schon selbst geschrieben, es gibt vor allen Dingen sehr individuelle
Hörgewohnheiten.

Bei diesem LS würde ich dem Hörabstand keine allzu große Gewichtung geben, solange man nicht auf sehr große Hörentfernungen setzt. Ich denke mal zwischen 1,5 und 3,5 m wird alles, je nach Geschmack, funktionieren. Für größere Entfernungen scheint der Hoch-/Mittelton nicht ausgelegt zu sein.

Gruß Jörg
Bild
Bruno
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Bruno »

Hi All,

Putting the Mola-Mola DAC into the THREE was not really an option. It dissipates about 12W per stereo pair, so we'd be looking at 36W more heat. Another reason is that Mola-Mola and Kii are separate enterprises so I can't just lift IP from one and drop it into another. We did put in an asynchronous sample rate converter algorithm that is very much based on the same ideas as that in the MM DAC, but rewritten from scratch to be optimal for this application.

The field reconstruction only works from a distance of 1m or so. If you get closer than that the mids become shouty. Otherwise I found the speaker pretty much behaves normally. The sound carries rather well so you still get passable clarity even from the other end of my living space (6m).

I doubt if there is an optimum universal recording/replay paradigm since it's all about creating an illusion. The only thing that ought truly to work is binaural, but then only if you use your own head to record. Anything else is about artistic personnel making intelligent choices among various methods that are all broken in different ways.

Cheers,

Bruno
Bild
axxxxx

Beitrag von axxxxx »

Hey Bruno,

please tell us more about the Mola Mola DAC. First of all you'll have to tell us who came up with that name. It's like Jambo Mambo... :mrgreen:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/mola-mola-new-dac-prototype hat geschrieben:Some things can't be done with off the shelf chips. Today's best DAC chip claims no better than 22 bits worth of dynamic range. Mola-Mola's DAC is designed from the ground up using circuits and digital algorithms developed in-house.
http://puremusicgroup.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=545&review=write hat geschrieben:The converter is a three board stack that fits in one of the option slots in the preamp. On the first board, all incoming digital audio is upsampled to 3.125MHz/32 bits and converted to noise shaped PWM. The two remaining boards are mono DACs, in which a discrete 32-stage FIR DAC and a single-stage 4th order filtering I/V converter convert the PWM into analogue with a breathtaking 140dB SNR. This is near the theoretical limit for 24-bit files and far beyond that of even quad-speed DSD. Uniquely, distortion remains below the noise floor even for full scale signals. A quick look at current and historic trends of high-end IC’s indicates that for the foreseeable future this kind of performance will remain unavailable to manufacturers forced to rely on the same “chip du jour” that also powers their competitors’ products.
That sounds very interesting.

Bild

Looks like a discrete R2R/ladder DAC to me.

Cheers
Kai
Bruno
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Bruno »

The only thing we outsourced was the name and the logo. According to the designer of the logo, animals have always made for memorable luxury brands. I think he was right on the money there. So far nobody who's seen the name has managed to forget it. It has a delicious silliness to it that sticks in the mind.

The DAC is certainly not a ladder. You can't make decent DACs like that (in spite of many folks trying), there's no way of getting the resistor matching right in a discrete circuit. Instead the DAC converts digital audio into PWM (3.125MHz with 5 bit resolution, 7th order noise shaper, so clock rate is 100MHz). That is then shifted through a 32-stage (again, 100MHz/32 = 3.125MHz) shift register and all outputs are summed together through identical resistors. Since each stage carries the whole signal matching is unimportant. The only reason to do the shift register is to get more current out and to remove the principal 3.125MHz component as a kind of free low-pass filtering. This reduces jitter sensitivity.

It's become a bit simpler since this picture. Only 2 boards. One with the DSP, one with the 2-channel analogue section.
Bild
axxxxx

Beitrag von axxxxx »

Hello Bruno,

thanks for the insight.

I've found a little video in which you were interviewed in regard to the development of the Mola Mola DAC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvVXCqEtEU

What I thought to be the ladder part of the DAC turns out to be a bunch of stand-alone DAC chips which form a shift register looking just like a R2R shift register. Hearing that the original signal of ~3 Mhz is upsampled/modulated up to 100 Mhz makes me wonder whether it would be necessary to separate the stages with some kind of shielding in order to avoid HF interference. In my much younger years I was a ham radio guy and I remember that the different stages in ham radio gear would always be separated by copper shielding, even at much lower frequencies than 100 Mhz.

Is the Mola Mola DAC actually ready for distribution or is it still a pre-production sample? Wouldn't it be nice to arrange an audtion of the Kii speakers and the DAC/Pre?

Cheers
Kai
Bruno
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Bruno »

They're not DAC chips but standard flip-flops. There's no single device in there that was ever designed to be part of a DAC :) The things that require shielding in RF circuits are the air coils of tuned circuits. This doesn't arise here. Anything else can be designed without shielding but you have to be really careful about layout.

The DAC still hasn't made it into production though we're working hard on that. Listening is always possible providing I don't have to travel far because the only extant unit is here. I'm not sure how much sense there is combining it with the Kii speakers because you can just as well feed them digital. Of course, before we had the digital input working this was exactly how we did our listening.
Bild
Raal
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Raal »

Hallo Bruno,

herzlich Willkommen bei uns. :cheers:

Ich bin ein sehr großer Fan deiner NCore Verstärker Module und setze diese auch erfolgreich bei meinen Manager Lautsprechern ein.

Wird es dir langsam nicht mal zuviel mit nun der 3. Firma?

Viele Grüße
Andreas
Bild
uli.brueggemann
Aktiver Hersteller
Beitrag von uli.brueggemann »

Google shows many links to FIR-DACs. Good results can also be found by patent searches, see a.g. WO002009047673A2 which describes underlying principles.

Uli
Bild
Bruno
Aktiver Hörer

Beitrag von Bruno »

FIR DACs have been around for as long as I remember. The only seriously new thing in this design is the PWM modulator which has lower distortion than any 1-bit modulator I've seen. Other than that it's really just attention to detail (the analogue design, the upsampler etc). It's not the novelty that counts but the performance. Elbow grease beats genius every time.

@Andreas, it's a question I ask myself too occasionally. It's mainly a matter of organisation. In principle I should be able to off-load most Mola-Mola work onto staff now, having done the critical bits. But Kii and Purifi are two full time jobs that take a lot from me.
Bild
uli.brueggemann
Aktiver Hersteller
Beitrag von uli.brueggemann »

Bruno hat geschrieben:Elbow grease beats genius every time.
Ja, genau.

5% Inspiration and 95% Transpiration. :wink:

Grüsse
Uli
Bild
Antworten